Join your colleagues at ASNE-APME News Leadership Conference in Philly
Register now for the 2016 ASNE-APME News Leadership Conference Sept. 11-14 in downtown Philadelphia. The conference will open with an evening reception Sunday, Sept. 11, at the landmark National Constitution Center, at 525 Arch St., just blocks from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.
Two pre-conference workshops, one on newsroom transformation from the "Table Stakes" project and the other on google tools, will be offered at 1 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 11, to a limited number of participants. Attendees will also be able to attend events hosted by the Associated Press Photo Managers, which will be holding its annual conference in conjunction with ASNE and APME for the third year in a row.
Our event hotel is the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, at 1201 Market St. Conference sessions will begin there Monday morning and conclude by noon Wednesday.
The conference will include:
- Keynotes by leading-edge thinkers and influences, including Marty Baron, executive editor of The Washington Post, who will speak about the transformational changes he has led in the newsroom.
- Panels and workshops on practices and tools to improve coverage and engagement, including workshop by The City University of New York's CUNY Graduate School of Journalism to teach editors how to develop community-driven news products.
- Award-winning journalists talking about their work.
- APME Innovator of the Year presentations.
- Free tools for newsrooms.
- Silent auctions offering one-of-a-kind items, such as sports tickets, vacation retreats, jewelry, autographed books and much more.
APPM will have speakers from news organizations across the country, from those doing community photojournalism to photojournalists making documentary films. One of the speakers will be Brian Cassella, a staff photographer at the Chicago Tribune. He will talk about his series "The Next Day," which documents the day following fatal shootings throughout Chicago.
For baseball fans, the Pittsburgh Pirates play the Philadelphia Phillies on Tuesday, Sept. 13, at Citizens Bank Park. A limited number of tickets are available, which you will need to purchase when you register for the conference.
The pre-conference workshop will be an interactive event designed to help news leaders interested in making digitally focused change in their newsrooms. The Knight-Temple "Table Stakes" effort, with the participation of four metropolitan newsrooms, has defined what any newsroom must have to be "in the game" of news in the 21st century. In this workshop, those attending will:
- Hear a series of key questions that determine whether their respective newsrooms are actually, as opposed to theoretically or notionally, "in the game" now.
- Gain insight about how and why to move forward, including the kind of commitment needed to make the transition.
- Get an overview of the dozens of specific tools and techniques created in the K-T effort and how to make use of them.
To register for the main conference: The registration fee is $275 for members of ASNE and APME and $375 for nonmembers. There are special rates for retired members, current members of AOJ, spouses, students and APME's Regents. Lunch tickets for Monday and Tuesday can be purchased during registration. Click here to register.
To register for the Sunday pre-conference workshops: Email ASNE Communications Coordinator Jiyoung Won at firstname.lastname@example.org. The "Table Stakes" workshop has limited space and will be available on a first-come, first-served basis to those who are registered to attend the conference. The Google workshop has no limit on audience size. Click here for more information about both workshops.
To book your hotel room: Our secured block of hotel rooms at the Marriott has expired. However, we have a limited number of reserved rooms at the $199/night group rate for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 11-13. If you're attending the conference and need to book your room, then please contact ASNE Senior Information Specialist Megan Schumacher at email@example.com with your arrival and departure dates.
Questions? Please Contact Jiyoung Won at firstname.lastname@example.org or Sarah Nordgren at email@example.com.