Knight Commission report: Informing Communities
- By: ASNE staff
- On: 10/05/2009 13:24:00
- In: Member news/Industry updates
From Eric Newton ...
Take a look the conclusions and recommendations in this report from The Knight Commission on the Information Needs of Communities in a Democracy and join the debate online!
The Commission concludes:
- The current financial challenges facing private news media could pose a crisis for democracy.
- Public media should provide better local news and information.
- Not-for-profit and non-traditional media can be important sources of journalism.
- Public information belongs to the public. Government must be more open.
- Informed communities can measure their information health.
— from the Executive Summary
Download a PDF of the report below, or join the debate and read online.
Informing Communities: Sustaining Democracy in the Digital Age