2018 ASNE Awards calling for best journalism
- By: ASNE staff
- On: 12/05/2017 09:47:23
- In: Awards
Columbia, Mo. (Dec. 5, 2017) - The ASNE Awards, one of the few journalism contests in which news organizations of all sizes compete on equal footing, is now accepting entries. The deadline to submit entries is 11:59 p.m. EST Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2018.
This year's rules and categories
- Organizations can submit up to three entries per category
- The same content can be entered in more than one category (it will be selected as a winner in no more than one)
- Individuals from eligible organizations may self-enter even if the organization submits three entries
- No minimum number of articles/digital components required in each category
- Entries in the Online Storytelling category should be submitted via URLs without the PDF formatting of articles
- The Editorial Leadership category accepts team entries
The ASNE Awards, which encompasses 10 categories and honors the best in print, online and mobile content, does not consider the size of the organization when selecting winners. This means small news operations compete head-to-head with traditional, award-winning juggernauts, such as The New York Times and The Washington Post.
It also means that victory is that much sweeter. Journalists at the East Bay Times, California; the Glenwood Springs (Colorado) Post Independent; The Post and Courier, Charleston, South Carolina; ProPublica; the El Paso (Texas) Times; The Joplin (Missouri) Globe; The Bergen County (New Jersey) Record; the Wisconsin State Journal; The News-Star, Monroe, Louisiana; and the Denton (Texas) Record-Chronicle have been winners in the ASNE Awards in the past years. In the ASNE contest, quality journalism finds its way to the top of the pile regardless of the size of the organization producing it.
In calculating entry fees, however, the ASNE contest does take size into account. There is a $75 fee for news organizations with 1 million monthly unique visitors (MUVs) or more and a $40 entry fee for those with less than 1 million MUVs. The contest is open to all news websites, news services and newspapers in the United States, including those without an ASNE member on staff.
Each participating organization must create its own account at the ASNE Awards contest site. Read carefully the directions on the homepage, and click on the MY ACCOUNT tab to begin the process. Submit entries by 11:59 p.m. EST Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2018. For questions, contact ASNE Senior Information Specialist Megan Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-882-3792 or ASNE Communications Coordinator Jiyoung Won at email@example.com or 573-882-2430.
Thanks to our sponsors, eight of the 10 ASNE awards come with a $2,500 cash prize. They are:
- The Batten Medal, sponsored by a group of editors from the former Knight Ridder company
- The Burl Osborne Award for Editorial Leadership, sponsored by The Dallas Morning News
- The Deborah Howell Award for Writing Excellence, sponsored by Advance Publications, Inc.
- The Dori J. Maynard Award for Justice in Journalism, sponsored by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
- The Frank A. Blethen Award for Local Accountability Reporting, sponsored by The Seattle Times
- The Mike Royko Award for Commentary/Column Writing, sponsored by the Chicago Tribune
- The O'Brien Fellowship Award for Impact in Public Service Journalism, sponsored by the fellowship at Marquette University in Milwaukee
- The Punch Sulzberger Award for Online Storytelling, sponsored by The New York Times
The two other prestigious awards are:
- Breaking News Writing Award
- Photojournalism Award
Winners will be announced in the spring and will be recognized Sept. 11-12 at the ASNE-APME conference in Austin, Texas.