Deadline extended to Aug. 26, don't miss this free training!
We have extended the application deadline for the ASNE Emerging Leaders Institute Sept. 10-11 in Philadelphia to Friday, Aug. 26. Take advantage of the extra week to apply for this free training opportunity to become the next generation of news leaders!
Here are five reasons to apply for the institute:
- The institute will provide free, hands-on sessions to help train new and mid-level news leaders to succeed in their leadership and management roles.
- The institute is open to candidates from news organizations across all platforms around the country.
- The institute will be led by experienced professionals in the industry, including ASNE Secretary Alfredo Carbajal, vice chair of the ASNE Leadership Committee; ASNE member Jill Geisler, the Bill Plante Chair in Leadership and Media Integrity at Loyola University Chicago; and a few other experts.
- The institute will take place just one day prior to the 2016 ASNE-APME News Leadership Conference in Philadelphia. This means participants will have the free opportunity to stay around for the conference if they choose to do so.
- The institute will provide two nights (Sept. 9-10) of hotel and some meals and reimburse all or partial travel expenses (more information below).
The institute will take place Saturday, Sept. 10, and Sunday, Sept. 11, at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, at 1201 Market St., Philadelphia, PA 19107. Some of the topics on the program include coaching and feedback, leadership style, driving diversity in news platforms, goal-setting and strategy, financial leadership, and technology and innovation.
Interested candidates can apply by filling out an online form by Aug. 26. The form includes a resume, a brief statement on goals for the institute and a nomination letter from a supervisor. Candidates will be notified of their application decision via email, and those accepted will be required to fill out a skills survey by Sept. 2.
Airfare, baggage and/or mileage, with valid receipts, will be reimbursed after the institute. If the amount exceeds $500, then attendees will need to obtain pre-approval by emailing ASNE at firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the same email address to submit travel receipts with the subject line "Emerging Leaders Institute-ASNE/APME reimbursement."
The institute is underwritten by generous contributions from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, the American Press Institute, the Scripps Howard Foundation and the Loyola University Chicago School of Communication.